Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Looking for low-fat soups, this fits the bill. Plus it is yummy!
Make and share this Squash, Leek, and Watercress Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 medium leeks
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted (I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
- 3 lbs yellow squash, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups watercress leaves
- 1 dash hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- sour cream, thinly sliced yellow squash, watercress sprigs (optional)
- Remove and discard the root, tough outer leaves, and tops of leeks to where the dark green begins to pale. Chop leeks, and saute in butter in a large Dutch oven for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add squash, and saute for 4 minutes. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender. Add the watercress, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Transfer mixture in batches to a blender (I use a handheld blender and leave everything in the pot). Ladle soup into soup bowls. Garnish, if desired.
Oh my gosh - this makes A LOT OF SOUP!!! That's ok - because when you taste it - you will NOT MIND eating it for days and days after. I'm HOOKED and will add this to my dietary "staples" because Leeks, butternut squash, watercress - are are powerful anti-cancer. They are also LOADED with vitamins, anti-oxidants that will make your skin look great. I LOVE food that TASTES fabulous AND does Fabulous things to my body too. It's a win-win situation! A NOTE ABOUT WATERCRESS: If you are a former smoker, studies indicate that eating WATERCRESS actually helps REVERSE the damage in long-term smokers! Especially if you smoked over 20 years like I did. My Endocronoligist told me if you quit smoking and consume WATERCRESS regularly (like 2-3 times a week) - after 5 years your whole body will be like you never touched a cigarette - I looked this up on the internet (Google) and it's true! It's great that you can heal yourself with food and making small changes to your eating habits! So, start eating more watercress!!!!! When you buy a bagged salad - pick up some watercress to put on top! Thanks breezemom! Keep the healthy recipes coming!!!!