Recipe by WI Cheesehead
I got this from Delicious Living Magazine. I made it vegan by using margarine, but otherwise left it as is. I didn't have soy flour, so subbed soy protein powder. This comes out like a cakey bar. Because I am not a fan of molasses, I used 1/2 C honey and 1/4 C molasses but think I might up the molasses more next time. The flavor might change based on what squash you use, but I think it's a great snack or dessert and they said, "packed with vitamins, protein and minerals." You could use whatever nuts or fruit you like. Since my family is not big on dried fruit, I used 1/2 C raisins and 1/2 C granola to make up the remainder.
- 59.14 ml soy flour
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 88.74 ml margarine, room temperature
- 236.59 ml winter squash, pureed
- 177.44 ml molasses
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- 118.29 ml sunflower seeds
- 236.59 ml dried currants or 236.59 ml raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In separate bowls, combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Mix together.
- Stir in chopped nuts and fruits.
- Spray or grease parchment paper and place on a baking sheet or bar pan; spread mixture evenly onto paper.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool; cut into squares.