Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this from Delicious Living Magazine. I made it vegan by using margarine, but otherwise left it as is. I didn't have soy flour, so subbed soy protein powder. This comes out like a cakey bar. Because I am not a fan of molasses, I used 1/2 C honey and 1/4 C molasses but think I might up the molasses more next time. The flavor might change based on what squash you use, but I think it's a great snack or dessert and they said, "packed with vitamins, protein and minerals." You could use whatever nuts or fruit you like. Since my family is not big on dried fruit, I used 1/2 C raisins and 1/2 C granola to make up the remainder.
- 59.14 ml soy flour
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 88.74 ml margarine, room temperature
- 236.59 ml winter squash, pureed
- 177.44 ml molasses
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- 118.29 ml sunflower seeds
- 236.59 ml dried currants or 236.59 ml raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In separate bowls, combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Mix together.
- Stir in chopped nuts and fruits.
- Spray or grease parchment paper and place on a baking sheet or bar pan; spread mixture evenly onto paper.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool; cut into squares.
Love these! I used less molasses. (I used 1/2 cup) everything else I did the same. Will make these again - excellent!
i was looking for a baked goods recipe to use up some squash i had at home, and came across this one. initially i was a bit dubious, as my palate tends towards all things not good for me, but i had most of the ingredients on hand, so i gave it a shot. to my surprise and pleasure, i really like the finished product!
i used 1/4 cup of regular white flour in place of the soy flour, and used a mixture of dried cranberries and craisins for the dried fruit component.
the bars are cake-like and crumbly, with a really interesting texture thanks to the fruit, nuts, and sunflower seeds. the overall flavor is similar to that of a quick bread like zucchini or banana, though not as sweet. the bars look not unlike brownies, so it took me a second for it the flavors to all register when i took my first bite.
unique and interesting - this one's a keeper!