Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 5 cups broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 onions, halved then sliced
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 -3 lbs squash, seeded, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup red wine or 1⁄4 cup marsala
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- to taste pepper
- to taste parmesan cheese
- Heat broth in one saucepan.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan.
- When butter foams, add onion and garlic. Saute over med. heat until pale yellow.
- Add squash and sage; cook until starting to become tender.
- Add wines and reduce.
- Add balsamic vinegar and lower heat.
- And rice, mix well.
- When rice is coated, stir in 1-2 ladles of broth, cook until absorbed.
- Continue this routine for 15-20 min.
- Season with pepper. Serve with Parmesan.
This recipe was okay; a little sweet, a little bland. I used butternut squash (pre-cooked it so I could cut it up easier) and added some shitake mushrooms to the sauteed onions. It took about 90 minutes to make. Husband thought that it could use some chile or something hot, for a kind of sweet-spicy flavor. Makes more than 6 servings, unless you are planning to eat this as a main course.