Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
this is a simple curry dish that originally included a bunch of leeks instead of celery
- 700 g squash, diced
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 150 g potatoes, diced
- 3 stalks celery, in slices
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 250 ml water
- Heat oil and fry ginger, cardamom (and optionally 1 cloves) and medium heat until the spices are fragrant.
- Add squash, celery and potato.
- Add ground spices (optional spices: nutmeg)and fry for 2 minutes.
- add water
- bring to a boil, then simmer at low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- for a creamier curry you can add 50 g of soy cream.
I enjoyed this mix of spices with the squash. I like the flavor of acorn squash, but not the texture, so I made this as a soup (I'm not rating it because of the changes I made). I used about 4 cups of cubed acorn squash, omitted the potatoes, and added an onion. I added cayenne, salt, and pepper, extra water, and some tahini (for creaminess, as I had no milk). I pureed this, and am enjoying now. Thanks for such a flexible recipe!
Fine, indeed! Serves 2 most likely as a main dish; serves 4 - 6 as a side sish. Very easy and straightforward and very yummy. I opted out of the potatoes as I made this to serve with recipe #35788 and jasmine rice. Enjoyed the celery in this. The squash (I used acorn) needed 15 - 20 min simmering time till soft. I didn't add soy creamer as it's great without, but could consider it for another time. I love all the spices used in this recipe. Thanks for a great curry squash recipe!