Recipe by Nickeletta
This recipe is from Miriam Jacobs The Brown Bag Lunch Cookbook. Cooked pumpkin can be substituted for the squash.
Top Review by Chef Lil' Momma Jenn
These turned out pretty good but my family would have preferred them just a tiny bit sweeter. I used yellow squash maybe I'll try pumpkin next time. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dry buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3⁄4 cup squash, cooked and pureed (or pumpkin)
- 2⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, wheat flour, white flour, buttermilk powder, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Mix well.
- Place the sugar, butter, eggs and honey in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer and blend until smooth. Add squash and water and mix well.
- Add the squash mixture to the flour mixture and mix well with a long-handled spoon.
- Spoon the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins pass the "toothpick test".