Recipe by annroberts54
A thick rich tasting winter soup that will warm you to your bones. It is only 6 WW points when divided into 4 servings. All of my friends love this soup even some who say they do not like squash. Best if eaten right away as the zucchini mushes up to much when reheated.
Top Review by Nikoma
Nummy! First time using tarragon and it compliments this well. In the end I HAD to double the salt and hot pepper, added a smidge more tarragon. Used the frozen orange squash, and 2 -10oz cans of corn. I had to cook mine much longer then instructed. I think I misunderstood the zucchini directions. I split them down the middle and then into half moons. Next time I will QUARTER them. However in the end, after more like 45 minutes everything was perfect. The potatoes oddly enough weren't overcooked and the onions and peppers were perfect (used a yellow pepper, not fond of green). Corn starch never worked well for me so for this I took about 1 cup chowder and mixed in 1/4 cup flour and added to pot - thickened up nicely. I can definitely see making this one again. You could also add some rice to this and I think it would be very good! In the future I will also try using unsweetened almond milk in place of the evap to make it Vegan :) Thanks!
- cooking spray
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large potato
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 -4 small zucchini
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces butternut squash, cooked and pureed
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Butternut Squash. I deseed and peel my squash then steam in steamer basket on the stove top or in a microwave steamer until soft. Puree the squash and it is ready to add to soup in later step.
- Spray dutch oven with non stick spray.
- Add onion,and garlic and cook until soft. Add chopped green pepper and carrots and continue to cook until they start to soften. Chop potato into small dice and add to pan. Add spices and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer until potato and carrots are tender. Quarter and slice the zucchini and add to pot and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the pureed butternut squash or if you can find it you can use a 10oz box of frozen orange squash. Add corn and the can of evaporated skim milk. Mix cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons water and add to soup. Continue to simmer until soup returns almost to the boil.
- Serve with french bread and butter and you are all set.