Recipe by SJG3483
The Corn Flakes add an extra crunch to this recipe. Using non-dairy margarine and mayonnaise makes this a great dairy-free recipe.
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn flakes, crushed (another cereal would work too)
- 2 -3 lbs yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- shredded cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1/2 of the margarine or butter with cereal.
- Sauté squash in remaining butter for 10 minutes or until slightly tender, but still crisp.
- Stir in water chestnuts, mayo, basil, salt and pepper.
- Spoon squash into greased baking dish and top with cereal.
- If desired, add the layer of cheese in the middle.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until hot.