Recipe by CookinMamaof3
Our favorite way to have squash! Good southern comfort food.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
I think this recipe would taste different depending upon what squash you used. For 1/2 recipe, I used 1 pattypan and the other two I don't know the name of. They look like small dappled acorns with an orange flesh. Anyways, I cut the last two in half and baked them face down while I baked another dish. That way, I just scooped the flesh out and mashed it. I chopped the pattypan and onions, boiled them and blendered them and combined with the other squash. I used Kashi TLC crackers and ground them in the blender. Everyone, except the squash hater, tried and like them. The bacon adds flavor to it. Nice warming comfort food.
- 5 -6 medium squash
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups cracker crumbs
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut squash into cubes and boil with onion until tender. Drain well and mash.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for enough cheese and cracker crumbs to top, and mix well.
- Pour into buttered casserole dish and top with remaining cheese and cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.