Recipe by Big Daddy's Cookin
I like this recipe because it allows me to utilize all of the vegetables grown in a summer garden.
Top Review by fluffystew
This was very good and it makes a lot! It packs a fair bit of heat, even though I only used 3 banana peppers (I am assuming there is a duplicate line in the recipe ingredients btw), so I served it over plain rice. I used mild italian sausage removed from the casing, doubled the garlic, and used parmesan and mozzarella for the cheeses. I didn't realize until it was in the oven that I had forgotten to include the squash (!) but it was still great. Would definitely recommend chopping up the vegetables first - I thought I could do it while the meat was browning but there was too much to get done in time. Thanks for the excellent recipe.
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 yellow squash, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 4 -5 hot banana peppers, seeded and chunked
- 4 -5 banana peppers, seeded and chunked
- 16 baby carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower floret, with the stems trimmed off and broken up in small pieces
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained (or 3.5 cups of fresh diced tomatoes if you have them.)
- 1 (10 ounce) canrotel diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage links or 1 lb bulk sausage
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded 5 mixed Italian cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need a large pot which can go in the oven. I use a 3-quart. Dutch oven.
- Remove casing and brown sausage if you do not use bulk. Remove from the pot put on paper towel and paper plate to drain. Leave drippings from the sausage in the pot. I also use a little olive oil to get the sausage started so it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Next add onions and a little more olive oil if needed and sauté till translucent. Now add the garlic and sauté a few minutes. Then add the seasonings and all the rest of the vegetables and sauté them for about 8-10 minutes.
- Return the sausage to the pot. Add all tomatoes, sauce, cheeses, then mix well. Continue to heat for about 3-5 minutes on the stove and then bake 25-30 minutes at 350 in the oven.
- Remove from oven stir, let rest and serve. This is a meal all by itself. You can serve this over rice with some fresh fruit, or in a bowl with some good crunchy bread for sopping up the juice.
- Should make 12 8 ounce servings.