Recipe by Kaykwilts
I had an abundance of squash and found this recipe. It seem simple enough and I had the ingredients on hand. Husband really likes it. Took it to church and people liked it too. Takes less than one roll of Ritz crackers crushed.
Top Review by TreeSquirrel
This recipe is easy to throw together! I halved the ingredients, except the egg (used a whole egg still). I also caramelized my diced onion before adding to the casserole. In addition, I used a pepper jack cheese blend for some spice and added extra crackers to the top before cooking. Pretty tasty and fit right in my toaster oven for cooking ease! Thank you for posting.
- 2 lbs yellow squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup Ritz cracker, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash into small pieces and cook until tender.
- Add chopped onion to squash. Then add salt, pepper, 1 stick butter and cheese.
- Beat the egg and add to squash mixture.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Crush crackers and put on top of casserole. Dot with butter.
- Bake at 350°F until top is brown, about 45 minutes.