Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I had an abundance of squash and found this recipe. It seem simple enough and I had the ingredients on hand. Husband really likes it. Took it to church and people liked it too. Takes less than one roll of Ritz crackers crushed.
- 2 lbs yellow squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup Ritz cracker, crushed
- Cut squash into small pieces and cook until tender.
- Add chopped onion to squash. Then add salt, pepper, 1 stick butter and cheese.
- Beat the egg and add to squash mixture.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Crush crackers and put on top of casserole. Dot with butter.
- Bake at 350°F until top is brown, about 45 minutes.
This recipe is easy to throw together! I halved the ingredients, except the egg (used a whole egg still). I also caramelized my diced onion before adding to the casserole. In addition, I used a pepper jack cheese blend for some spice and added extra crackers to the top before cooking. Pretty tasty and fit right in my toaster oven for cooking ease! Thank you for posting.
My kind of recipe! The ingredients are few and simple which lets the squash be the star. It's comfort food at it's best. I changed the serving size to feed 4 and the ingredient amounts came out perfect, except I added one whole egg. I cooked the squash to "not quite soft", since the bake time was so long and I wanted the squash to not be mushy. The flavor was excellent, and the cracker crumbs on top was a nice contrast to the soft squash. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I will defnately use it again!