Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is one I tweaked a little from the Chocolate Biscuit Tearoom Vol II Cookbook. The Chocolate Biscuit Tearoom is in Trussville, AL.
- 3 cups diced squash
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- 1 dash garlic salt
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Saute squash and onion in olive oil; drain and put hot mixture in a bowl.
- Add egg, butter, mayonnaise, sugar, 1/2 cup cheese, cracker crumbs, garlic salt, salt and pepper; mix all together.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
This is a wonderful tasting Squash Casserole. I did add some seasoning salt. All of my family loved it. Thanks for posting.
This was TOTALLY yummy. Of course, I modified! I didn't have any onions in the house (gasp!) but had tons of green onions in the garden so used those. They added some nice color but if anyone chooses to do this, don't saute them with the zucchini until the last minute! I used whole grain Ritz crackers. I also left the cheese out of part of it because DH has dairy allergies and used Fleischmann's Unsalted margarine to keep it DF. The part without cheese was delicious, so next time, I think I'll omit the cheese altogether!
Was a nice way to use up some squash. The only change I made was to use panko bread crumbs instead of the Ritz. It was good but a little bit bland. I would make it again but add a bit more seasoning, probably some more garlic and some paprika or something.