Recipe by Chef Foferina
This is probably my favorite way to eat squash, and it goes well with almost any "homestyle" meal.
Top Review by jnpj
I am amazed at how great this casserole was for having just a few basic ingredients. The yellow squash at the store wasn't looking too good, so I went ahead and used only zucchini. Also, I can no longer seem to find the hot and spicy Cheez-its in the stores around here, but I did use the new Pepper Jack Cheez-its. Anyway, this casserole came out great. This recipe enhanced the flavor of the zucchini, which often gets overpowered in casserole recipes. Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup hot and spicy Cheez-It crackers
- 1 cup yellow squash
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the inside of an 8" square baking dish.
- In a zipper bag, crush up the Cheez-Its.
- Chop the squash and onion, not too thin. I don't like to use chunks for this, I like medium-thin slices.
- Boil the squash and onion with plenty of salt and pepper until the onion is transparent and the squash is translucent, about 5 minutes or so.
- Drain vegetables.
- Press the Cheez-Its into the bottom of the baking dish to make a crust.
- Add the squash and onion all in one layer on top of the Cheez-Its.
- Top with cheddar cheese, and bake for about 15 minutes, or until hot through and cheese is melted.