Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is another dish that's very popular at potlucks. I'm not making any guarantees, but I've known people who don't like squash that like this recipe.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 4 medium summer squash, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, quartered and cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring constantly, until crumbs turn golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a large covered saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add squash and onion to pan and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover pan. Cook until onions are translucent.
- In a separate saucepan, combine cream cheese and cream of celery soup.
- Cook over medium-low heat until cream cheese is melted and can be stirred into soup. Remove from heat.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Stir in grated cheddar cheese.
- Fold sauce into squash and pour into a buttered casserole dish.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with reserved bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and brown on top.
Excellent squash dish. It was so nice and creamy. Will make again. Thanks for posting.