I am not a big squash fan, but I love this casserole. So give it a try even if you don't care for squash.
- In a saucpan over medium heat cook squash with butter, onion and sugar until tender(do not add water, it will create enough to cook).
- If excessive water in squash drain it off; let cool.
- When cooled, add egg/milk mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place squash mixture in at 8x8 or similar casserole dish.
- Cover with cheese and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
I absolutely love squash, and had to force myself to finish this. It is way too sweet, which ends up tasting really strange as an egg-based casserole topped with cheese. I would consider making it again with maybe a couple tablespoons of sugar instead of the 1/4 cup the recipe calls for.
Another great squash casserole! This is somewhat like most others, but this one has a great sweetness to it. Because of that, I think this is a great way to get squash-haters to eat squash. I made this as written and just added a little salt. Thanx for sharing!
This is an excellent way to prepare squash. We loved the cheese topping. Thanks for sharing, Petdrwife.