Recipe by Mar~Bear
I found this recipe in a Southern Living Magazine. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Top Review by gailanng
I've made this squash casserole for years. The only difference in the recipe I use is the addition of a can of drained, sliced water chestnuts. It's not as crazy as it sounds...just adds a little surprise crunch. A delicious recipe that's sure to become a family favorite.
- 3 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 round buttery crackers, crushed (about 3/4 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large skillet 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender.
- Drain well; gently press between paper towels.
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in squash, cheese, and next 4 ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter.
- Stir together melted butter and crushed crackers; sprinkle evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.