Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've made this recipe several times and my husband still can't believe he's eating squash. Great to fix when the squash vines are producing quicker than we can pick!
- 6 cups yellow squash and zucchini, large diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup crushed Ritz cracker
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Saute the squash in olive oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down (approx. 15 minutes).
- Drain well in colander and set aside.
- In skillet, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together saving the Ritz cracker crumbs. Place in greased 2 quart casserole and top with cracker crumbs.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
Wonderful recipe & very forgiving on choice of cheeses. Have actually used feta in it with great results (used more sour cream, red peppers & an egg in that version). Thank you CindiJ for a fast & fantastic keeper!
I made this squash casserole recipe tonight and it was EXCELLENT. My husband, who normally does not try new dishes, loved it!
This was a very nice and savory dish that DH and I both enjoyed. The only different thing that I did was sub the Ritz crackers for other crackers (as I didn't have any Ritz in my pantry). I just put some triscuit and whole wheat crackers in the Vita Mix machine and crushed them. Everything else was followed to the letter. I would make this again, as long as my supply of yellow squash (or zucchinis) will allow. Thank you for posting, CindiJ.