Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had this in the south where everything is crackered, and this uses up some of that darned squash. It's really good which is why there are so many variations of this recipe.
- 3 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups soda crackers, crushed (1 sleeve)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- Cook squash until tender, drain.
- Put in baking dish with onion. Mix.
- In a separate bowl put milk, eggs and sugar. Mix together and pour over squash.
- Mix in the cheese.
- Put crushed soda crackers over squash.
- Sprinkle a little cheese over top.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with foil paper.
- Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes; uncover for last 5 minutes until brown.
I really had high hopes for this one. I went back several times to make sure I added the topping ingredients in the right order. Placing the cheese on top of the cracker crumbs resulted in a very very dry topping. The crackers stcuk to the cheese and seperated from the casserole even while hot. Next time I will follow my instincts and mix the cheese in the casserole then top with the crackers and butter. I have to be honest and rate this recipe according to how it was written.