1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Perfect for a Thanksgiving or Christmas table (and not only).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- pate brisee pie crust
- 1Make crust: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (220C).
- 2Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly-floured surface and fit it into a 9 ½ inch square flan form set on a baking sheet, leaving a ¼ inch overhang.
- 3Fold overhang inward onto the sides of the shell and press firmly against the flan form.
- 4Prick shell lightly with fork and chill for 30 minutes or freeze for 15.
- 5Line pastry with foil and fill with pie weights.
- 6Bake in lower third of oven for 15 minutes.
- 7Remove weights and foil and bake shell a further 5-8 minutes, or until golden.
- 8Let cool.
- 9Make filling: In a large skillet, heat oil over moderately-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 10Stir in onions, garlic and season to taste.
- 11Cook mixture, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- 12Add sage, thyme and cream, bring to boil, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes, or until thickened.
- 13Let onion mixture cool.
- 14(may be made 1 day ahead) Spread onion evenly into pastry shell.
- 15Peel and halve apple lengthwise, core, and slice very thin crosswise.
- 16Arrange apple and squash slices decoratively, overlapping, covering onion.
- 17Season with salt and top with butter.
- 18Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
- 19Bake in upper third for 15 minutes.
- 20Cover tart with foil and bake for 30 minutes more, or until squash is tender.
- 21Let tart cool for 20 minutes before removing from flan form.
- 22Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Squash, Apple and Onion Tart
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.7
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 50.8 mg
- Sodium 14.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g