Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
We have enjoyed this casserole for years, but since we are trying to eat better. I made a lightened version and took out alot of the fat and calories. That way we can enjoy this and not have to suffer the consequences later.
- 6 cups summer squash, sliced (I used a mixture of zucchini and yellow)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) can Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 cup 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 8 ounces cornbread stuffing mix, your choice
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- cooking spray
- Place squash and onion in a microwave safe bowl add about 1/4 c water and cover with plastic wrap. Be sure to leave a small vent hole. Microwave on high about 4 mins or till tender. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole with cooking spray. In a small bowl combine stuffing mix and chicken broth. Put 1/2 of this mixture in bottom of casserole.
- Mix squash/onion mixture with carrots, sour cream, cornstarch, and cream of chicken soup, cheese, and Mrs Dash.
- Pour squash mixture over stuffing in casserole. Top with remaining stuffing mix and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake in oven uncovered for 30 mins or till bubbly.
This was very very good. Loved the crunch gave to it. I used Savory Herb Stove Top stuffing mix which worked well. I left out the carrots for personal reasons. I also used a combination of Squash and zucchini which we love toether. This makes a lot. Thanks for sharing.
Yummy yummy!!! This received immediate rave reviews from my family. My DH said it was so nice to have a change from my standard steamed or grilled squash & zucchini. I did not have cornbread stuffing mix so just used a chicken stuffing mix that worked fine! Thanks for a great recipe that I'll be making often! Tagged in Went to the Market Game Apr08