Recipe by Sackville
You wouldn't normally think of squash and shrimp as a natural food combination but this soup is truly delicious -- and the ingredients will keep everyone at the table guessing! You can make two variations: either with milk as listed or make it lighter by using the juice of one lemon instead. Black pepper ground over the top is essential.
- 700 g squash or 700 g fresh pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1000 ml boiling water
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 200 g frozen shrimp
- 1 large apple, peeled and grated
- 1 cup milk
- 50 g butter (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the squash, boiling water, stock cubes, apple and shrimp into a large saucepan.
- Heat until boiling, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Blitz in a blender until the soup is smooth.
- Stir in the milk or lemon juice.
- Ladle into bowls and season with salt and black pepper.