Recipe by Sandy Doenges
This recipe was given to me by a friend. My kids have eaten this, not realizing they were eating squash and liked it.
- 1 lb summer squash
- 1 lb mild bulk sausage (I like Jimmy Dean)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup broken saltine crackers
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook squash in salted water until tender. Drain. Brown sausage and drain. Mix all ingredients using 1 cup cheese, saving the rest of the cheese for the topping. Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees until brown and bubbly on top. Top with the remaining cheese. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes before serving.