What could be nicer than a soulful bowl of soup filled with beautiful vegetables, healthy grains and lean protein? Finding one that is also quick and easy to prepare. Since following the WW Core program for two years, I continue to look for recipes that are share the healthy principles of the program. Found this recipe in Better Homes & Gardens and adapted it to my palette. For Core WW members, this is Core plus 2 points for the nectar in the whole dish.
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup shallots or 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fat free chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup apricot nectar (if you can't find apricot, try mango)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced into 3/8 inch pieces
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 dash cayenne
- In saucepan cook chicken and shallot in hot oil over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until shallots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, apricot nectar, water, quinoa, ground ginger and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, recover and simmer an additional 7 minutes.
- Add zucchini and red pepper. Cover and cook 10 minutes more or until squash and quinoa are tender.
- Season to taste with salt, ground black pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Each serving is about 1 1/2 cups of soup.