1/3 Photos of Squash and Kale Risotto
Containing low fat, vitamin rich additions of kale and orange fleshed squash, risotto is delicious, nutritious, economical, and versatile! See how easy this is to prepare! This is from The Moosewood Low Fat Favorites Cookbook. Cook time is approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2-5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (May use white grape juice) (optional)
- 2 cups peeled and cubed winter squash (3/4 to 1 inch cubes)
- 3 cups stemmed and chopped kale, packed (about 1/2 pound before stemming, May use other greens)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon, rind of
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese or 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1Bring the vegetable stock to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer.
- 2Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, preferably nonstick, saute the onions in 2 teaspoons of the oil for about 5 minutes, until softened but not browned.
- 3Add more oil, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
- 4Using a wooden spoon to avoid breaking the grains, add the rice and stir until it is well coated with oil.
- 5Add the wine, if using.
- 6When it is absorbed (it won't take long), ladle in 2 1/2 cups of the simmering stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes between each addition, until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
- 7Add the squash and the kale and stir.
- 8Continue adding 1/2 cup of broth every few minutes for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until all of the stock has been added and the rice is tender but firm.
- 9Add the nutmeg, lemon peel, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Remove the risotto from the heat, stir in the cheese, and serve immediately.
- 13In addition to or in place of kale, add any of the following:.
- 14chopped Swiss chard, cabbage, radicchio, or fresh fennel, chopped celery, roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, green peas, green beans, or even seedless black grapes.
- 15This is great served with fish or chicken!
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Squash and Kale Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.6
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 25.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: