Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Mixing the flavors of a summer squash, either Zucchini or Yellow Squash with Hominy creates a nice blend of flavors. You can choose one squash or the other or create a mix of both of them. You can also add more or less of hominy or squash, depending on how you feel or what is available to you.
- 3 -4 cups zucchini or 3 -4 cups yellow squash, 1/4-1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄2-1 cup hominy
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat the olive oil in a cooking pan.
- Sautee the onion on medium heat for 5 minutes Add the hominy and sautee until the onion is translucent.
- Add the water, it should barely cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add the squash and salt.
- Cover and put on low heat.
- Stir occassionally until squash starts to become tender.
- Uncover and put on medium heat.
- Stir regularly until all the pieces of squash are tender.
Did not care for the flavor (or lack there of) at all! When I tasted the finished saute, I knew it would be wasted effort to set it on the dinner table. I cooked the squash mixture a little longer, added about half a cup of seasoned croutons, a cup of aged cheddar cheese sauce, half a can of diced green chiles, and one beaten egg. I beat the mixture, poured it into a greased casserole dish, and topped with cheese. It salvaged a disaster!