Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: local newspaper
Top Review by breezermom
Wonderfully creamy soup that is low in calories! Delicious too. It is easy to make...just used the food processor to shred the carrots and squash. I used no fat simply smart milk, and cut more calories that way. I tried to half the recipe and only bought 3 squash....grated they only made 2 cups, so I'd increase the number of squash to make 7 cups. Had no need to add salt, but I did add some coarsely ground black pepper. I enjoyed this easy to make soup, and will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 yellow squash, grated (7 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb crabmeat, shells removed
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chives, snipped (optional garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven over medium heat melt butter and then add next 3 ingredients (carrot - garlic) and cook for 6-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pepper flakes and squash and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in crab meat and cooked until heated through.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour and a little milk to make a paste and then add remaining milk. Add to soup and cook for another 10 minutes -- DO NOT BOIL.
- Garnish with chives.