Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
No salt or butter needed. Unbelievable flavor!
Make and share this Squash and Broccoli Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Slice squash in half, remove seeds, fill seed wells with chopped celery, onions, bell peppers, sprinkle with water and black pepper, then roast for about 45 minutes until squash is tender. For additional information see my Recipe #179443.
- Steam broccoli (fresh or frozen) on stovetop in a saucepan with steaming insert.
- While broccoli is cooking, remove skin from squash and puree in food processor. Discard skin. Place pureed squash in a 9x12" rectangular glass baking dish.
- Once broccoli is cooked, stir in with squash, chopped onions, chopped celery, and fresh ground black pepper.
- Slice 1 Roma tomato. Discard end slices. Place remaining slices across the top of squash mixture. Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blend and pepper.
- For an extra boost, sprinkle some red pepper flakes across the top. Bake at 350°F for about 30 to 40 minutes.
I had a butternut squash, broccoli and an onion I had to use up before they went bad, and ran into this recipe. First I did half the recipe. I skipped the celery and just put pepper and onion chopped up in the seed cup of the squash which I first put water in, then the veggies, then sprinkled more water on top, and then liberally added the given seasonings! Put the squash face up on a baking sheet and put in oven. Meanwhile I steamed the broccoli. Then when the squash was done I emptied the contents onto a dish and blended the squash until creamy smooth. Then added everything into a casserole dish and baked! I actually blended a half cup of rinsed cashews in a little water just covering the nuts, for some protein and to make it more creamy! It wasn't a bad recipe if you like squash. I liked it the first time I had it, but leftovers I don't like squash that much so I passed!!
Have not cooked this recipe yet, making it tonight. However, I would like two point out two things that need to be clarified. One, the recipe instructions mention bell pepper, however it is not in the ingredients. A second thing is that it is very vague as whether or not to puree the onions and celery with the squash or mix it in with the broccoli.