Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Latkes are traditionally made with grated potatoes and fried. Baking instead of frying these mini pancakes makes this appetizer a lot healthier. They can also be made ahead and reheated. Serve with maple dip or bottled salsa. This recipe came from one of local newspapers.
- 1 large apple, unpeeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 2 cups coarsely grated squash
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 large green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine apple and squash.
- Transfer to a sieve and press out excess liquid and discard.
- Return to bowl.
- Add onion, green onions, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Using about 1 tablespoon for each latke, shape into 1 1/2 inch round pancakes.
- Place cornmeal into a bowl.
- Dip each latke into cornmeal and cover both sides with cornmeal.
- Place latkes on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 20 minutes or unil lightly browned.
- Serve with Maple Dip.
- MAPLE DIP.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, maple syrup and cinnamon; mix well until smooth.