Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
My Mother makes this recipe at Thanksgiving. It's one of my favorite squash recipes, even the kids love it, it's so sweet!
- 2 lbs butternut squash, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 baking apples, cored and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Mix brown sugar, butter, salt and mace.
- Arrange squash in 12 x 7 x 2 oblong baking dish;ungreased.
- Top with apple slices.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture on top.
- Cover and cook in 350 degree oven until squash is tender 50-60 minutes.
This turned out very well. My mom and I discussed what should replace the green bean casserole no one ever eats, and she suggested something like this. I went hunting and was pleased to find this one. Made no adjustments. I think I layered it differently than these pictures indicate most people do. That's about it. Thanks. :)
I really liked this... made it last year but forgot to rate. I added cinnamon and used nutmeg instead of mace, since I didn't have any on hand
Very tasty. I used brown sugar "twin" and a golden delicious apple. The recipe didn't specify where to add the flour, so I just skipped it.