Recipe by Mrs. Flick
Nice holiday/fall/winter vegetable side dish
Top Review by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Very good! My first time to tackle butternut squash ~ I used granny smith apples; I substituted cinnamon and freshly ground nutmeg for the mace. Because this dish is somewhat dessert-like, next time I may add chopped pecans and some freshly grated ginger! Made for Fall PAC 2011.
- 2 lbs butternut squash
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 2 baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350.
- Cut each squash in half. Remove seeds and fibers; pare squash. Cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Stir together remaining ingredients except apple slices.
- Arrange squash in ungreased baking dish, 11 1/2" X 7 1/2" X 1 1/2". Top with apple slices. Sprinkle sugar mixture over top, cover with foil.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until squash is tender.