Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Make sure to keep these truffles in the refrigerator.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cognac or 2 tablespoons good brandy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 8-in. square baking pan with nonstick foil, letting foil extend about pan on 2 sides.
- Stir chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over low heat, or in a microwave on high, stirring at 10-second intervals, until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir in ginger, cognac and vanilla until blended. Pour into prepared pan spread evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours until set.
- Lift foil from pan. Remove from foil to a cutting board. Cut with a sharp knife in 6 rows lengthwise and 6 crosswise. Sift cocoa or confectioners' sugar over tops, or dip in chocolate coating.
- VARIATION: Orange-Hazelnut Truffles: Prepare through step 2. In step 3, omit ginger, cognac and vanilla; stir in 2 Tbsp orange liqueur and 1 Tbsp grated orange zest. Proceed as directed. Coat truffles with melted chocolate; sprinkle with chopped toasted hazelnuts.
- VARIATION: Mocha Truffles: Stir 1 Tbsp instant coffee granules into the heavy cream. Prepare through step 2. In step 3, omit ginger, cognac and vanilla; stir in 2 Tbsp coffee liqueur. Proceed as directed. Sift cocoa powder on top.