1 hr 40 mins
In 'Around My French Table' by Dorie Greenspan
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or a combination) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (or a combination)
- 1 lb carrot, trimmed, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (Spanish is recommended)
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, split, germ removed, and thinly sliced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped (1-inch piece)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth (plus more for thinning)
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Place a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat; add in butter and or oil.
- 2When the butter is melted, or the oil is hot, toss in the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, ginger, rosemary, and thyme.
- 3Season with salt and decrease heat to low, and give the ingredients a couple of turns to coat them with butter or oil.
- 4Cover the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are very soft but not colored.
- 5Remove the lid, pour in the chicken broth, increase heat, and bring to a boil.
- 6Toss in the potato cubes and adjust the heat so that the soup is at a simmer.
- 7Partially cover the pot and let the soup simmer gently for another 20 minutes or until the potato can be mashed easily with a spoon.
- 8You may serve the soup as is or puree it; remove the rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- 9If serving as is, taste soup and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 10Or puree the soup in a blender or food processor, or use a food mill or immersion blender.
- 11Taste it for salt and pepper and reheat it before serving.
- 12If you find the soup a little too thick for your taste, when you're reheating it, pour in enough additional chicken broth or water to get the texture you like.
Browse Our Top Stove Top Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stove Top Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spur-Of-The-Moment Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 104.0
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 609.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: