Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
In 'Around My French Table' by Dorie Greenspan
Make and share this Spur-Of-The-Moment Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or a combination) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (or a combination)
- 1 lb carrot, trimmed, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (Spanish is recommended)
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, split, germ removed, and thinly sliced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped (1-inch piece)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth (plus more for thinning)
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- fresh ground pepper
- Place a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat; add in butter and or oil.
- When the butter is melted, or the oil is hot, toss in the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, ginger, rosemary, and thyme.
- Season with salt and decrease heat to low, and give the ingredients a couple of turns to coat them with butter or oil.
- Cover the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are very soft but not colored.
- Remove the lid, pour in the chicken broth, increase heat, and bring to a boil.
- Toss in the potato cubes and adjust the heat so that the soup is at a simmer.
- Partially cover the pot and let the soup simmer gently for another 20 minutes or until the potato can be mashed easily with a spoon.
- You may serve the soup as is or puree it; remove the rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- If serving as is, taste soup and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Or puree the soup in a blender or food processor, or use a food mill or immersion blender.
- Taste it for salt and pepper and reheat it before serving.
- If you find the soup a little too thick for your taste, when you're reheating it, pour in enough additional chicken broth or water to get the texture you like.