Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
Colorful and tasty layered sliced cookies!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted (1 ounce each)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 -5 drops green food coloring
- 1⁄4 cup candied red cherries, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 -5 drops red food coloring
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour and mix well.
- Divide dough into three portions.
- Stir chocolate into one portion; mix well.
- Add pecans and green food coloring to the second portion.
- Add cherries, almond extract and red food coloring to the third.
- Roll each portion between two pieces of waxed paper into and 8x6-inch rectangle. Remove waxed paper.
- Place chocolate rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap.
- Top with the green and pink rectangles; press together lightly.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and chill overnight. Cut chilled dough in half lengthwise. Return one rectangle to the refrigerator.
- Cut remaining rectangle into 1/8 inch slices.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 for 5-7 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Note: for another good and highly reviewed Neapolitan Cookie recipe, take a look at recipe number 47503.
I am not rating this although the finished product is tasty and beautiful. The recipe calls for 12 teaspoons of almond extract and should problably be 1/2 teaspoon. I used 1 teaspoon and felt it was a little strong. Was hard to tell when they were done. I checked the first batch in 5 minutes and they did not look done to me so left them in a minute or so longer and they burned. I did better with with the rest and it seems that 5 1/2 minutes worked fine. It took me over an hour to prepare (but that may be my fault) They do taste good and look beautiful. I may try again next year lol