Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious, rich, impressive looking frozen dessert, which is surprisingly easy to make, and can also be made a day ahead. Prep time for this recipe = freezing time
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring or 1⁄2 teaspoon rum flavoring (or your personal favorite)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 maraschino cherries, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon candied orange peel, cut fine
- 8 shelled blanched almonds, cut into thin slivers
- Chill a 1 quart spumoni mold well.
- If you don't have a spumoni mold, a 1 quart gelatin mold will work very well.
- First Mixture: Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla in a sauce pan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickend (like a pudding).
- Cool mixture.
- Place cooled mixture in a freezer tray and freeze until medium hard (about 2 hours).
- It should be soft enough to spoon out easily, but hard enough to hold its shape.
- Second Mixture: In Bowl, beat heavy cream and sugar together until stiff.
- Gently mix in the cherries, orange peel and almonds.
- Chill the second mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Filling Mold: When first mixture is ready (semi-frozen), remove from freezer tray and line the inside of the chilled mold with it.
- With the back of a spoon, shape a hollow in the middle of the first mixture.
- Fill the hollow with the second mixture.
- Cover the top of the mold with plastic wrap or waxed paper, and freeze for about 2 hours (until very firm).
- To serve, dip mold briefly in warm water and unmold onto a serving plate.
- Cut spumoni into 6-8 portions.