4 hrs 15 mins
This is a delicious, rich, impressive looking frozen dessert, which is surprisingly easy to make, and can also be made a day ahead. Prep time for this recipe = freezing time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring or 1/2 teaspoon rum flavoring (or your personal favorite)
- 1Chill a 1 quart spumoni mold well.
- 2If you don't have a spumoni mold, a 1 quart gelatin mold will work very well.
- 3First Mixture: Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla in a sauce pan.
- 4Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickend (like a pudding).
- 5Cool mixture.
- 6Place cooled mixture in a freezer tray and freeze until medium hard (about 2 hours).
- 7It should be soft enough to spoon out easily, but hard enough to hold its shape.
- 8Second Mixture: In Bowl, beat heavy cream and sugar together until stiff.
- 9Gently mix in the cherries, orange peel and almonds.
- 10Chill the second mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- 11Filling Mold: When first mixture is ready (semi-frozen), remove from freezer tray and line the inside of the chilled mold with it.
- 12With the back of a spoon, shape a hollow in the middle of the first mixture.
- 13Fill the hollow with the second mixture.
- 14Cover the top of the mold with plastic wrap or waxed paper, and freeze for about 2 hours (until very firm).
- 15To serve, dip mold briefly in warm water and unmold onto a serving plate.
- 16Cut spumoni into 6-8 portions.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spumoni (Italian ice cream like dessert)
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.7
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 223.0 mg
- Sodium 61.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 36.0 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied orange peel