Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a pretty cake, when sliced and tasty too.
- 1 package white cake mix, with pudding in it
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 (3 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 ounces maraschino cherries, in halves
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (melted)
- red food coloring
- green food coloring
- powdered sugar, for topping (10x)
- Beat together the first 5 ingredients.
- Divide batter equally into 3 bowls.
- Bowl#1: add nuts, extract and 6 drops green food coloring.
- Bowl#2: add cherries and 6 drops red food coloring.
- Bowl#3: add melted chocolate.
- Grease a tube pan.
- Layer green, then red, then chocolate in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool.
We loved this cake! It was moist and the three separate flavors were very special. I changed the recipe a little. I didin't want to use food colors, so in the first bowl, I just added chopped pistachios instead of walnuts. It gave it a slight green color. In the cherries layer, I also omitted the red coloring, but the cherries gave it a slight tint. I used a bundt pan, and placed the cherry layer in first, then the chocolate, then the pistachio. (Make sure the pistachio layer has a little bit more batter to cover a larger area.) It came out very pretty. I served it with neopolitan ice cream. Thank you, keen5, for a nice recipe.