Recipe by JenniferK2
I was having an "Italian Night" dinner party and needed to come up with a dessert. Many Italian desserts are just too rich for my taste, so I thought of spumoni ice cream, but I really wanted a cake. So I decided to try to come up with a cake that had the flavor of spumoni and this is the result!
Top Review by kslighthouse_11535950
I would suggest adding 1-2 tables of milk or water to the batters you add the pudding mix to. They were so thick it was difficult to spread in the pan. I added about a tablespoon of water to the green layer and it spread much better. Also if yo notice the boxes of cake mixes you buy now are about 3 ournces lighter. Next time I am going to make my white cake from scratch.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 of a box instant chocolate pudding mix (buy a 3 1/2 ounce box)
- 1⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1⁄2 of a box instant pistachio pudding mix (buy a 3 1/2 ounce box)
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease three 8 inch layer pans.
- Mix together cake mix, eggs, water and oil; beat for 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly into 3 separate bowls.
- Mix ingredients for one of the layers into each bowl of batter; pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until picks inserted in centers come out clean.
- Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, chill large bowl and beaters thoroughly.
- Combine cold whipping cream, sugar and rum extract in chilled bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. To test, lift beaters from whipped cream - stiff peaks should remain on surface.
- Layer cake with chocolate on bottom, then pistaschio, then cherry, frosting with whipped cream between each layer then top and sides of cake. Sprinkle almonds on top.