1/4 Photos of Spumoni Cake
1 hr 15 mins
I was having an "Italian Night" dinner party and needed to come up with a dessert. Many Italian desserts are just too rich for my taste, so I thought of spumoni ice cream, but I really wanted a cake. So I decided to try to come up with a cake that had the flavor of spumoni and this is the result!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 of a box instant chocolate pudding mix (buy a 3 1/2 ounce box)
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 of a box instant pistachio pudding mix (buy a 3 1/2 ounce box)
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/3 cup almonds, sliced
- 1Preheat oven to 350°; grease three 8 inch layer pans.
- 2Mix together cake mix, eggs, water and oil; beat for 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly into 3 separate bowls.
- 3Mix ingredients for one of the layers into each bowl of batter; pour into prepared pans.
- 4Bake for about 25 minutes or until picks inserted in centers come out clean.
- 5Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to rack and cool completely.
- 6Meanwhile, chill large bowl and beaters thoroughly.
- 7Combine cold whipping cream, sugar and rum extract in chilled bowl.
- 8Beat with electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. To test, lift beaters from whipped cream - stiff peaks should remain on surface.
- 9Layer cake with chocolate on bottom, then pistaschio, then cherry, frosting with whipped cream between each layer then top and sides of cake. Sprinkle almonds on top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spumoni Cake
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.6
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 170.6 mg
- Sodium 355.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 28.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant chocolate pudding mix
maraschino cherry juice
instant pistachio pudding mix