Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A little rum, a little fruit, a little nuts - great way to top off a good Italian meal. Cook time is freeze time. NOTE ON TOPPINGS: No exact amounts of stemmed cherries, macaroons or pistachio nuts were given in the original recipe. Garnish according to personal taste.
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 1 pint pistachio ice cream
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄4 maraschino cherries or 1⁄4 golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kirsch or 2 teaspoons brandy
- 1 pint raspberry sherbet
- maraschino cherry, with stems intact (for topping)
- macaroons, crumbled (for topping)
- pistachio nut (for topping)
- Evenly layer softened chocolate ice cream into a 9x5x3 in loaf pan. Smooth the surface. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Repeat with pistachio ice cream.
- Combine vanilla ice cream with cherries, nuts and flavoring, mixing well. Even spoon over pistachio layer. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Spread raspberry sherbet over vanilla layer. Smooth the surface. Cover with foil and freeze at least 6 hrs or overnight.
- Run dinner knife around edges of mold. Dip bottom of mold quickly into hot water, place well-chilled serving platter over mold and invert.
- Garnish as desired with cherries, macaroon crumbs or nuts. Slice Spumoni with a knife dipped into hot water.
Sorry, but it is difficult to rate or review your recipe as written due to an incomplete quantity in your list of ingredients. Re: 1/4 (?) maraschino cherry or golden raisin. Please revise. I am looking forward to trying your recipe as I cannot always find Spumoni available and do enjoy it when I can. It is delightful served with a claret sauce. Thank you Julie B's Hive.