Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A cheesey dish that sticks to your ribs! Not historical, but good!
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, spuds sliced as thin as you can get
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced thin
- 1 (15 ounce) can cheese soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crackers or 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Take a paper towel and wipe a 12" Dutch oven with a little olive or vegetable oil.
- Place one layer of spuds in the Dutch oven and brush with some of the melted butter and add a little seasoning.
- Then put in a layer of onions and keep layering spuds brushed with butter and seasoning until you've used all your spuds and onions.
- Thin the soup with the milk and pour over the top.
- Sprinkle the bread or cracker crumbs over and add any additional seasoning.
- Set the Dutch oven in the fire ( firepit ) with 4-6 briquets underneath and 16-18 on the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the fire and sprinkle the grated cheese over the top and let set for 5 minutes or so before serving.
- Serves 6-8.
Not much cheese flavor nothing great. Would add more cheese I come from Wisconsin and we love our cheese Baked in oven Pretty bland.