Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From a local extension cookbook
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 -7 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water & milk.
- Add sugar & salt.
- Add potatoes, shortening, eggs, baking powder & some of the flour; mix well.
- Add additional flour until soft dough is achieved.
- Turn onto a floured surface & knead until dough is smooth & elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl & turn once to grease both sides.
- Let rise till double.
- Punch down & turn onto floured surface.
- Roll out to 3/4" thickness & cut with doughnut cutter.
- Let rise until double.
- Fry in deep, hot oil, heated to 375.
- Turn once until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon & drain on paper towel.
- Glaze while warm.
- Cooking time includes rising of the dough.