Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Crusty, yummy bread. Got the recipe from Food Nation on the food network. We love this bread!
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 loaf good quality crusty Italian bread
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb sliced mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop garlic in a food processor.
- Add all other ingredients, except for bread and mozzarella.
- Process in short bursts, until spread is rough and lumpy.
- Slice bread into 3/4 inch slices, not all the way through, leave bottom crust connected.
- Spread each side of each slice with the butter spread.
- Place a piece of mozzarella between the slices.
- Brush top and sides of the loaf with butter spread.
- Wrap the loaf in foil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted throughout.
- Open foil and return to oven for 5 minutes.
After searching high and low for capers (I was determined to try this recipe!) I finally made this bread. It is very easy to put the spread ingredients together. I bought a loaf of Italian bread but next time I will make my own. This bread is so delicious it will knock your socks off! It could easily be a side dish for soups or spaghetti/pasta dishes or even an appetizer. Mickie, thanks so much for posting this wonderful recipe!