1/1 Photo of Sprouted Wheat Berry Bread
2 hrs 40 mins
1 hr 40 mins
In order to make this ahead, sprout your wheat berries three or four days in advance. Adapted from Fresh-A Greenmarket Cookbook by Carole Schneider.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle the yeast over 1 cup lukewarm water in a large mixing bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast. Add the remaining water, salt, honey and oil. Mix well.
- 2Stir in white flour and beat dough by hand or with a dough hook in an electric mixer until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- 3Stir in the wheat berry sprouts and just enough whole wheat flour to make a soft, sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead, with more flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- 4Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease to of dough; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
- 5Grease 2 9x5-inch loaf pans. Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead briefly.
- 6Divide in 2, shape into loaves and place in pans. Cover and let rise again in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F
- 8Bake loaves 25 minutes. Lower oven heat to 300*F. and bake 35 more minutes, or until bottom of loaf sounds hollow when turned out and tapped. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sprouted Wheat Berry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1825 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1977.1
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3512.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 387.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.7 g
- Sugars 47.9 g
- Protein 56.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
wheat berry sprouts