Prep1 hr 40 mins
In order to make this ahead, sprout your wheat berries three or four days in advance. Adapted from Fresh-A Greenmarket Cookbook by Carole Schneider.
- Sprinkle the yeast over 1 cup lukewarm water in a large mixing bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast. Add the remaining water, salt, honey and oil. Mix well.
- Stir in white flour and beat dough by hand or with a dough hook in an electric mixer until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the wheat berry sprouts and just enough whole wheat flour to make a soft, sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead, with more flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease to of dough; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
- Grease 2 9x5-inch loaf pans. Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead briefly.
- Divide in 2, shape into loaves and place in pans. Cover and let rise again in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Bake loaves 25 minutes. Lower oven heat to 300*F. and bake 35 more minutes, or until bottom of loaf sounds hollow when turned out and tapped. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy!
Excellent recipe. I used applesauce instead of oil and it worked like a charm. I also ended up dividing it into 3 loaves since the dough was overflowing from the 2 loaf pans during the last rise. The dough was quite sticky - any recommendations on how to fix this? It seems to happen with all the wheat breads I make. UPDATE: I have made this recipe many times now. I cut the honey down to a little less than 1/4 cup for a less sweet bread. Today I didn't have enough sprouted wheat berries so I subbed 1/2 cup cooked 9 grain cereal mix and about 1/2 cup wheat bran. I also used only white flour (was out of wheat). It turned out excellent. Thanks again for the recipe!
very good bread. I also ended up having three loaves.
I made this with sprouted spelt and sprouted wheat berries and it so wonderful, recommend it very highly