Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the magazine "Femina", a woman's magazine that is amazing and too good for words!
- 1 cup basmati long grain white rice, washed and soaked in water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mixed vegetables (Carrot, French beans, greenpeas and cauliflower)
- 1⁄4 cup shelled green peas
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 2 bay leaves, torn
- 2 onions, sliced in circles
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin seed
- 3 tablespoons whole green lentils (sprouted)
- 1⁄2 cup methi leaves
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, grated (optional)
- 8 mint leaves, washed and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 2 3⁄4 cups hot water, to cook rice
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, washed and chopped (to garnish)
- 2 spring onions, washed, ends trimmed, and cut in circles (to garnish)
- Marinate the chopped vegetables including the mint leaves and fenugreek leaves(methi) in the yogurt, salt, garam masala powder and ginger-garlic paste for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat ghee or oil in a skillet.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, bay leaves and green cardamoms.
- Fold in the sliced onions.
- Add the marinated mixture followed by the sprouted green moong(lentils) and mix well.
- Saute for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes and coconut(if using) and mix well. Fold in some water(about 1/2 cup) and allow to cook till soft.
- Cook rice in a separate pot until soft and fluffy. Drain out the starch(excess water).
- Keep aside.
- Now add the cooked vegetable mixture to the cooked rice and mix lightly with a fork so as to not break the grains of rice.
- Garnish with sliced onion rings, green onion(whites and greens) and parsley.
- Serve hot with chilled yoghurt on the side.
i liked this except the sprouted methi was a little too bitter for me.