Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
From this week's Thursday magazine - this was submitted by Suganthi Kannan. I made it for dinner tonight and enjoyed a little with rice! LOVELY!! The preparation time includes the time of soaking the green gram.
- 1 cup sprouted green gram
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 whole red chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Soak the green gram for 6-8 hours (overnight).
- The next day, when yu are to prepare it, heat oil in a skillet.
- Add methi seeds and red chillies.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coconut and turmeric powder.
- Mix well.
- Grind in a mixer/grinder, adding water as required to get a smooth paste.
- Cook the sprouted green gram with 3/4 cup of water and 3/4 tsp.
- Keep aside.
- In a non-stick pan, add 2 tbsps.
- oil and heat on medium flame.
- When hot, add the onion and fry till golden brown.
- Add the tomato and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 3/4 tsp.
- salt or to taste.
- Add the ground coconut masala.
- Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked sprouted green gram.
- Mix well.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh corriander leaves (chopped).
- Serve hot with rotis or puri or rice.
- I really love this dish, I hope so will you.