Recipe by monique.j.jimenez
Found this on Martha Stewart's website. Courtesy of Candace Nelson from Sprinkles Cupcakes. Put this on Recipezaar for sharing and safe keeping :)
Top Review by mandabacca
I would actually give the cupcakes a 4 star rating and the frosting a 1-2 star rating... so I comprimised on 3 stars for the whole recipe. The cupcakes turned out well with a subtle strawberry flavor. The frosting did not work out for me. I'm willing to chalk it up to me not being a wonderful/experienced baker (including frostings), although I did notice there were quite a few poor reviews on Martha Stewart's website too. The flavor of the frosting seemed good to me, but the texture I just couldn't get to come out right.
- 2⁄3 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup whole frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- 1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
- 2.Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree, add a few more strawberries if necessary or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
- 3.In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
- 4.In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- 5.With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
- 6.Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
- Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended. Do not overmix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.