Recipe by Pinot Grigio
This delicious cream cheese frosting recipe came with the Sprinkles Pumpkin Cupcake mix that I purchased from the Williams-Sonoma catalogue, and baked over the holidays this year. Sprinkles cupcakes have been featured on Oprah as one of her favorite things and, having eaten more than a few while I was in California last year, I would definitely have to agree! I have made other cream cheese frostings before but this one was the best in my opinion. Although it is featured with the pumpkin cupcake, I think it would pair equally well with a spice cake. This recipe generated enough to very generously cover 12 cupcakes. Use the best cream cheese, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla you have. I hope you enjoy it as much we did!
Top Review by HouseofX
I am a HUGE fan of Sprinkles and come home with dozens at a time whenever I am traveling (we don't have one in Mpls)! I made the Moist Carrot Cake from allrecipes.com and was browsing around for a good cream cheese recipe. I had forgotten about this one until google pulled it up after searching for cinnamon cream cheese. I have used this recipe year after year but never save it. It was the perfect pairing to the carrot cake! I now have the recipe saved, printed out and put into my recipe box at home. I can't wait to use it on everything this fall!!!!
- 8 ounces cold cream cheese (recommend Philadelphia full fat, do not use fat free!)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (not cold, but still firm)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (I used Vietnamese cinnamon)
- 3 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- milk (add in 1 teaspoon increments at the end only if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using the flat beater in your electric mixer, beat cream cheese, unsalted butter, salt, and cinnamon on medium low speed until smooth and creamy (approximately 2 or 3 minutes).
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add the confectioners' sugar, beating until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla; beat just until mixed.
- Do not overbeat or the frosting will incorporate too much air. It should be creamy and dense like ice cream.
- Add milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, if frosting is not of a spreadable consistency.