Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This delicious cream cheese frosting recipe came with the Sprinkles Pumpkin Cupcake mix that I purchased from the Williams-Sonoma catalogue, and baked over the holidays this year. Sprinkles cupcakes have been featured on Oprah as one of her favorite things and, having eaten more than a few while I was in California last year, I would definitely have to agree! I have made other cream cheese frostings before but this one was the best in my opinion. Although it is featured with the pumpkin cupcake, I think it would pair equally well with a spice cake. This recipe generated enough to very generously cover 12 cupcakes. Use the best cream cheese, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla you have. I hope you enjoy it as much we did!
- 8 ounces cold cream cheese (recommend Philadelphia full fat, do not use fat free!)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (not cold, but still firm)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (I used Vietnamese cinnamon)
- 3 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- milk (add in 1 teaspoon increments at the end only if needed)
- Using the flat beater in your electric mixer, beat cream cheese, unsalted butter, salt, and cinnamon on medium low speed until smooth and creamy (approximately 2 or 3 minutes).
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add the confectioners' sugar, beating until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla; beat just until mixed.
- Do not overbeat or the frosting will incorporate too much air. It should be creamy and dense like ice cream.
- Add milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, if frosting is not of a spreadable consistency.
I am a HUGE fan of Sprinkles and come home with dozens at a time whenever I am traveling (we don't have one in Mpls)! I made the Moist Carrot Cake from allrecipes.com and was browsing around for a good cream cheese recipe. I had forgotten about this one until google pulled it up after searching for cinnamon cream cheese. I have used this recipe year after year but never save it. It was the perfect pairing to the carrot cake! I now have the recipe saved, printed out and put into my recipe box at home. I can't wait to use it on everything this fall!!!!
Just made this for some pumpkin cupcakes. By far THE BEST cream cheese frosting ever! We had tons left over after frosting 12, so we refrigerated it and will be using it on some homemade cinnamon rolls tomorrow! YUMMY!!!
Outstanding is the word here. I made pumpkin muffins in my Nordicware pumpkin muffin pan and then did the cin. cream cheese icing. It was todiefor. So amazing that I had to freeze a few. Amazing. Linda