Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad is great all year round -- to me, it just has a springtime flavor that brightens any meal. You may be tempted to increase the garlic (I always am when I read other people's recipes!) but because it's crushed, 1 clove is plenty...and it does get stronger when it sits. Fresh lemon is what makes this salad special, so please don't substitute bottled juice.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 heads romaine lettuce
- 2 green apples
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas
- 6 green onions
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Dressing: Peel the garlic clove and thinly slice it.
- Place the garlic in a small bowl and pour the salt on the garlic.
- Using a fork or a spoon, crush/grind the garlic against the side of the bowl -- there will be some small pieces of garlic left.
- Wash the lemon, and using a vegetable peeler or zester, remove the thin yellow outer peel of the lemon.
- Slice the lemon peel into very narrow strips about 1/2 inch long and 1/8 inch wide.
- Add the lemon peel to the bowl with the garlic.
- Juice the lemon and add the lemon juice and olive oil to the bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Salad: Tear the lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- Slice the apples into thin wedges.
- Thinly slice the green onions.
- Gently toss all salad ingredients with the salad dressing and serve.
A lovely salad combination! I made the dressing a few hours ahead of time and allowed it to chill. I agree that it's important to use a real lemon. I used gala apples, but pretty much any apple would work, I think. Thanx for sharing!