Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
I got this recipe at a company picnic in the Colorado Rockies years ago. I was impressed by the fact that it was a "make ahead" recipe, that it would last days in the refrigerator and was so light and fresh tasting ---- but, particularly, because it was such a nice accompaniment to the Brats and Ribs that were being grilled and were so rich and spicy. There are a lot of layered salads on "zaar" but none quite like this. This is an excellent salad and so easy to prepare ahead and take to a party!
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 4 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 1 bunch chopped green onion (tops too)
- 1 lb crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- Wash, drain and tear lettuce and spinach into small pieces.
- In a 10 x 13 inch glass baking dish, layer 1/2 lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, water chestnuts, eggs, onions, bacon and peas.
- Sprinkle with one teaspoon of sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- "Frost" with 1/2 the dressing mixture.
- Repeat the layers and top with the Swiss Cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (at least 10 hours) and serve by cutting into squares.
- Note: salad stays fresh for 3 or more days when refrigerated properly.
Excellent salad!!! We loved the combination of the ingredients and especially the "crunch" of the waterchestnuts. Great make ahead salad that everyone will enjoy.