Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, quartered (skin if desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb tiny new potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cups celery, rough chop
- 1 lb asparagus (break off ends of stems where they snap easily)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 the salt and 1/2 the tarragon.
- Using a large skillet, heat butter and add chicken, brown slowly, turn once.When browned, transfer to a 3-4 quart casserole.
- Place the potatoes in skillet and brown lightly, then add to chicken.
- Sprinkle chives and parsley over chicken and potatoes and add the drippings from the skillet.
- Cover casserole tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 375 oven. Remove and uncover.
- Add celery and asparagus to dish and sprinkle the rest of the salt and tarragon. Drizzle with lemon juice.
- Cover tightly again with the foil and return to the oven.
- Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is tender, basting occasionally with the juices in casserole.