Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
I grew up with my grandma and mom making these cookies at Christmas. Now the family springerle rolling pin has been passed to me, like a family torch. I cherish the memories these cookies bring back. They are great dunked in milk or coffee.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon hartshorn or 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon anise flavoring or 1 teaspoon anise seed
- Beat eggs until very fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat well again.
- Add hartshorn and stir until dissolved.
- Fold in flour, salt and flavoring.
- If dough is very sticky, add about 1/4 cup more flour.
- Roll out 1/8" thick.
- Press with floured springerle board or rolling pin to print design.
- Cut in squares and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Cover with a towel and let stand to dry for 10 hours.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes at 325 degrees F, but do not let the cookies get brown.
- Optional: To decorate the cookies quickly, brush with light corn syrup and sprinkle with colored sugar.